York Minster, Astronomical Clock

The astronomical clock was installed in the
North Transept of York Minster in 1955.  It
was first conceived in 1944 and designed by
R d'Escort Atkinson, chief assistant at the
Royal Greenwich Observatory.  The clock
is a memorial to the airmen operating from
bases in Yorkshire, Durham, and
Northumberland who were killed in
action during World War II.

Get this image from alamy