The Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of Saint Peter
in York, commonly known as York Minster, is the second
largest Gothic cathedral of Northern Europe. The title
"minster" is attributed to churches established in the
Anglo-Saxon period as missionary teaching churches,
and serves now as an honorific title. The present building
was begun in about 1230 and completed in 1472.
The stone used for the building is magnesian limestone,
a creamy-white coloured rock that was quarried in nearby
Tadcaster. The Minster is 158m long and the central tower
has a height of 70m.
Get this image from alamy