Bridgnorth

The New Market

Built from 1855 to 1859 to the designs of Robert Griffiths
of Quatford.  The market hall was not a successful venture;
traders refused to take space there and continued to trade in the
street.  Strenuous efforts were made by the town's authorities
to encourage and then to enforce the clearance of the old
open-air market square.  Local police were ordered to
confiscate market produce and to clear stalls away and
the chief magistrate rode his horse over the stalls on one
occasion.  A law case, taken out by ten of the traders
against the council, resulted in the court ruling that
the rights of stallage in the open market place was
secured by medieval charters and could not be
interfered with at the whim of the local authority.

Get this image from alamy

The New Market