The Cistercian Abbey of St Mary and St Chad was founded in 1135
by Roger de Clinton, Bishop of Coventry (1129-1148) as a Savignac
monastery and was inhabited by a small community of monks from
Furness Abbey. Welsh Princes and their followers regularly
raided the Abbey and on one occasion in 1406, during the
rebellion of Owain Glyndwr, raiders from Powys kidnapped
the abbot. The abbey was closed in 1536 by the order
of Henry VIII during the Dissolution of the Monasteries.