Baltic Arts Centre
The Baltic Flour Mill was built by the Rank Hovis
company to a late 1930s design by architects Gelder
and Kitchen and completed in 1950. It was extended
in 1957 by the addition of an animal feed mill. The mill
was closed in 1981. Dominic Williams of Ellis Williams
Architects won an architectural design competition,
managed by RIBA Competitions, in the mid-1990s to
convert the 1950s Baltic Flour Mill into a centre for art.
After ten years in the planning, and a capital investment
of £50m, BALTIC opened to the public in 2002. The
inaugural exhibition attracted over 35,000
visitors in the first week.
Get this image from alamy