mono-36.jpg


Mosley Street
Manchester


The Mosley Baronetcy of Ancoats in the County of Lancaster, was created in 1781 for John Mosley.  The sixth Baronet, Sir Oswald Mosley, whose second wife was Diana Mitford, one of the famous Mitford sisters, gained notoriety as the founder of the British Union of Fascists.  The streets in the neighbourhood were laid in the 1780s and by the early 19th century Mosley Street was the centre of the fashionable residential part of town with institutions such as the Portico Library and the Royal Manchester Institution (now the Manchester Art Gallery).  It is the location of several other Grade II and Grade II* listed buildings.


A Metrolink tram glides smoothly by in the late afternoon sun.


Previous image Back to index Next image