mono-35.jpg


The Rochdale Canal
Manchester


The Rochdale Canal opened in 1804 and was the first of the three trans-Pennine canals to be fully opened.  It runs for 33 miles between Manchester and Sowerby Bridge in West Yorkshire, where it connects with the Calder and Hebble Navigation.  In Manchester it connects with the Ashton and Bridgewater Canals.  It was closed to navigation in the nineteen fifties except for the short length through Manchester which forms part of the Cheshire Ring.  After restoration, the canal was re-opened to navigation along its entire length in July 2002.


A narrowboat negotiates the 'Rochdale Nine', the nine locks
that take the canal through the centre of Manchester.


Previous image Back to index Next image