London Road Fire Station
Built between 1904 and 1906, it provided a fire station,
on-site apartments for 40 firemen's families, a police station
and a coroner's court. It was abandoned in the 1980s and
bought by a 'developer' who was supposed to be converting
it to a hotel. It never happened and the building was left
derelict for nearly 30 years.
Thankfully it is now owned by a more enlightened
developer, Allied London, and is now undergoing
restoration and conversion work which will include
a hotel, bars, restaurants, community uses
and a museum.
Get this image from alamy