Digital Pictures Index
Droylsden and Clayton.

6 June 11.  Local stroll.  Bright sun.


Stanmore House sheltered housing, by the Ashton Canal.


Art Deco style private house by the canal.


Canada goose and family.


Plenty of the locals out enjoying the sun.


Another of the locals keeping an eye on me.


Metrolink works, plenty going on east of the Droylsden stop.


These will be a set of points for the 'turnback' track.
Droylsden stop will be the terminus for about a year
until the phase 3b extension to Ashton is finished.


Further west another stretch of Manchester Road is nearly finished.


Even further west, this stretch is getting its final tarmac.


Edge Lane stop has grown more platform sections.


Clayton Hall, Ashton New Road, Clayton.  A Grade II* listed building, a scheduled ancient monument
and a rare example of a medieval moated site. The hall was probably built in the 15th century and is
surrounded by a moat. Originally built for the Clayton family, it passed on into the hands of the Byron family,
of which poet Lord Byron was a member, in 1194.  They lived there until they sold it to two London merchants,
George and Humphrey Chetham, in 1620.  Humphrey Chetham is famous for founding Chethams School and Library
in the centre of Manchester.  The Hall was acquired by Manchester City Corporation in 1897. The section
on the right of the Hall is the older half, dating back to the 16th century, while the section on the left dates from
the 18th century and contained the dining room, kitchen, larder, scullery and pantry.  During the Civil War,
Royalist cavalry were stationed here, before the attack on Manchester.  Afterwards, according to legend,
Oliver Cromwell was said to have spent three nights at the Hall.  The oldest surviving structure on the site
is the sandstone bridge crossing the (now empty) moat.  Dating from the late medieval era,
it was built to replace an original wooden drawbridge over the moat.


Clayton Hall, unfortunately with not-so-medieval cars in front.


Bell Tower, Clayton Hall


The Waltzers by John Adamson.  Carved from a tree trunk in Openshaw Park.
Nicknamed locally as 'The Strangler'.


· Home Page · Index · What's New ·