The Castle of Mey is located on the northern coast of Scotland between Thurso and John O'Groats. It looks out to sea across the Pentland Firth.
Built between 1566 and 1572 by the fourth Earl of Caithness, it was bought from Captain Imbert-Terry by the Queen Mother in 1952 (after her husband died). The castle was then in a state of disrepair and renovation work was required. In September 1996 she handed the castle, its 2000 acre estate and her prize-winning herd of Aberdeen Angus over to a charitable trust to make their future secure, and it is planned to open it to the public in August 2002.
For more information visit the Castle of Mey Trust website
24th August, a fleeting break in the cloud sheet.
23rd August. Sunset over Dunnet Head, the most northerly point of the British mainland.
26th August. Note how much further south the sun is setting, just three days after the previous picture.
Home Page ·
What's New ·